Need to pay the bills but stuck in a dead-end job? Millions of people can relate – you’re not alone! Fortunately, there are some practical steps you can take before you throw in the towel:
- Check your organisation’s career development support systems and policies. There might be personal and career development opportunities that you’re not aware of.
- Chat to your manager. It’s part of their job description to retain you. Ideally, this should be as part of your performance review but if you can’t wait, do it now.
- Ascertain whether your organisation provides education and training opportunities. It might be worth following up on.
- Career mobility should be a part of your organisation’s staff retention strategy. Take heart!
- Look into your country’s skills development legislation. Mentioning this to a non-co-operative manager might be all the impetus that’s needed
- Check your organisation’s internal vacancy list regularly. Internal candidates often have ‘the edge’ over external job seekers because they know the organisation and are known by its decision makers
- Get your CV written by professional CV writers. They know how to make you stand out from the crowd. It’s a small investment in your future.
- Consult a professional Career Development Practitioner. Check out his/her credentials beforehand and make sure he/she is represented by an official body e.g. the Career Development Association of Australia. Ask for success stories. It’s more of an expense, but these professionals can help you think laterally and provide guidance.